Monday, January 4, 2010

3.5 treadmill

I'm a wimp in the cold. I'd rather have a 90 or 95 degree day than one at 45. It wasn't that long ago that I enjoyed cold, but for some reason, I'm now at the point where I'd like to only visit the cold (like seeing my favorite friends in MN).

So when it's frigid like this (under 40...see I told you I'm a wimp), I end up hitting the treadmill to get in the miles. Today was no different. I loved taking a treadmill class at my old gym, which is sort of like a spin class - a mix of hills and speedwork. It breaks up the drone of the belt and pushes limits at times. If done right, it's a two-towel workout!

Today's workout is simple, but it can be hard depending on how you push it. The last 2 one-minute intervals were really difficult. And why is it that 1 minute goes by a lot faster when you're doing the recovery?

1 mile warm-up

10 x 1-minute intervals of 1mph faster than my "regular" speed.

1-minute recovery between intervals

1/2 mile cool-down (run, then walk at the end)

1 comment:

Dave said...

ok Kari...I FREAKING HATE TREADMILLS...but when I have to...I do this...warm up a mile...then what ever pace you are comfortable...breathing easy...start there and raise incline 2 degrees. run a mile..recover a 1/2 mile and raise it to 4 degrees...try to keep same pace. recover a 1/2 and keep raising till 8 degree...trying to keep the same pace...if you don't feel like throwing up at the end...you did something wrong...it sucks...but worth it ;-)