Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tribute to Geeks


I love geeks. There. I said it. I realized it the other night as I watched "Good Eats" on The Food Network.

Alton Brown, to me, is just the right package. He's interesting. He's funny. He digs chemistry and all kinds of scientific stuff (or at least he acts that way). To me, he's a geek in his own right. I love him. I'd call "dibs" if he ever got a divorce.


He's not the only geek who has caught my eye over time. Drew Carey? Yup, he's another one of my favorite geeks. But is he really one, or just a funny comedian? By appearance, he seems to be one. Once again, he's funny and wickedly smart. And for him, I love the black framed glasses.

His co-star, Ryan Stiles isn't exactly a pinup model, but you know what? I've always had a soft spot for him too. He's not the typical geek, but he's one that may be the guy who was a little socially awkward growing up but funny as hell! I wonder what he's like in person.

But in looking at this list, I suppose I’m drawn to funny guys who are smart more so than true geeks. I'm surrounded by techie geeks every day at work, but few catch my attention. Well probably because those who I might be interested in are already married.
Or gay.

I think I just like the people who have a certain uniqueness about them. My favorite boyfriends have all had their own fun idiosyncrasies. They usually weren't the perfect beauty types, but more average Joes. They were all funny. They all knew how to laugh at themselves. Maybe they just understood who they were and were good with it.

So why can't I find one for myself? Probably because the smart girls snatched these gems up already.
But remember Alton, if you are reading this and suddenly find yourself single…

2 comments:

said...

My girlfriend's husband has the biggest man-crush on Alton Brown. And he'll be the first on to admit it to you. She had sweatpants made for him that say "Alton" across the butt and he wears them proudly.

Yeah, I dig a smart witty man myself. Its always good to be able to laugh at yourself. Anyone who doesn't take life too seriously is beautiful in my book, no matter what they look like.

Peter Varvel said...

Gay geeks? You betcha'!
And I'd like to personally apologize on behalf of all gay men who have significantly decreased the market for you. :-P
Your turn will come, KK. I believe that!