Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cousin It does a loop around Bachman

I really need to get a haircut.

It's a beautiful 72 degrees at lunch. I debate whether to go play some sand volleyball or do the right thing and go for a run. My head wins out over my heart and I decide to head out for a run around Bachman Lake.

Bachman is situated on the north end of Love Field runways. From SWA HDQ back dock, a lap around the lake and back adds up to about 4 miles, which is just right for a (cough, cough) quick loop at lunch. One of the great things about it is that you can take your mind off that nagging side stich by trying to read the tail numbers of the SWA flights landing. It's beautiful.

Today it was all about the wind though. Springtime in Texas means plenty of wind. Occasionally, a cool north wind is available, but for the most part, it only takes one look at trees around here to figure out which way the prevailing winds are.

The lake is on a slight SW to NE slant sort of in the shape of a teardrop. The widest end is on the east side. Knowing this, it was a smart move to jog clockwise around the lake today to catch a tailwind and feel like doing a fast pace! There was a good tailwind from HDQ to the NW corner of the lake. But as I rounded that teardrop bottom, Cousin It came out to play.

Holy cow, the wind was relentless! Even running with a crab (not the crustacean, the angle against the wind), my hair was constantly in my eyes, mouth; pressed into my right ear. It was enough that I almost felt like running with my hands holding it back. (Note to self: next time wear the headband in your locker.)

All in all, it was a nice run. Run on ladies!

1 comment:

Beckbee said...

you are a stud KK. Wish i had your running tenacity!! :) LOVE YOU!