Monday, April 21, 2008

Rocky Hill Ranch 25K (Smithville, TX)

Wow what a beautiful trail run this was! Next year I'll go for the 50k, because the trails couldn't have been nicer. There were some rolling hills...nothing too big; nothing too small. It was just enough to keep my interest and keep the legs from getting bored. The trail wound through the trees and the woods beautifully. You could see other runners just briefly as they hit the twisty, pine covered trails. Too bad my mind wasn't really in the game.

I drove down with another member of the club. She's a sweetheart, but boy she can chatter! It was non-stop commentary all the way down to Austin and back the next day. I'm not completely sure why my head wasn't into the race though, unfortunately. I think I started off a little too fast with a group for the first mile or two, then had to slow down. I really struggled with the first 5 miles and kept thinking that the aid station would come any moment. I got to the first one about 10 minutes behind what I'd expected and this probably set me down the path for the next 5 miles of mental agony.

I tried some new shoes this time around, Brooks Adrenaline trail shoes. I like the comfort of them, but think that I had problems with them because they're technically a stability shoe and I really should be in a neutral. I rolled my ankles a lot this race; more than usual at least. And to make matters worse, I'm used to a wider toe-box on my old shoes (Asics Gel Eagle IV), so the slightly longer, pointier toe probably contributed to some trips over roots and rocks. I ended up with a good spill about halfway through the race. I'll try to get a picture of it if it bruises up well (I'm wearing a skirt to work today to show off my "badge of honor"). After a little pity-party and tantrum, I got back up and continued running.

Fortunately after the second aid station (around 10 miles) I just decided to go for it. Ahead of me was a runner who I'd been following at about the same pace for a couple of miles before the second aid station. He tended to start speed walking at about the same time I would. We stayed like this for a while, when he slowed down so I could catch up with him. His name is Nick and he's a bar/restraunt owner from Houston. He's a great guy who was doing the 50k, but doing it at a reasonable pace. Despite my not being one to chat much during a race, he and I talked a lot during those last 5 miles or so. Thankfully, he kept my mind off enough to get me through it. If you're reading this, Nick, thank you!!

I finished the 25k in about 3:25, which was about 25 minutes longer than I'd planned. The hammies were tight (I didn't fuel well this race), but otherwise felt unspent. There's a long way to go and a lot of tough training miles before I"ll be ready for the 50k in July. Yikes!

I spent the rest of the afternoon catching up with NTTR friends, met a few other ultra people and found a coupke old adventure racing friends I hadn't seen in a long time as I waited for my chatty, driving buddy to finish her 50k.

Overall, it was an okay training day on a spectacular course. There's always next year.

No comments: