Monday, May 19, 2008

A Foody 5k and Biking the Texas Motor Speedway

I got to do two fun events this week, both involving some exercise to boot!

Thursday evening was the Katy Trail 5k. This is a nice little jog just north of downtown Dallas, part of which is run on a soft track trail that meanders near Turtle Creek. About 1500 showed up to run it, including my friend Christi and me.

The 5k itself was okay, nothing spectacular. Christi and I jogged together. There were too many people and too narrow of an area to be able to run it fast. There were so many walkers blocking the middle of the road, I wanted to holler at them to move over, but refrained. There was much mumbling under my breath though, as I'm sure you can imagine.

The best part of it was at the end. Restraunts from all over the city were there handing out samples of their food from little white tents surrounding a park. The food in most places was amazing, one of which was a little sample of a dessert from one place that tasted like warm brownie mix with a delightful dollop of whipped cream on top. Oh and since the race was sponosored by Michelob Ultra, there was a beer tent. What a fun way to end the day!

And then on Saturday, my neighbor, Debbie, and I went out to Texas Motor Speedway where the Cross Timbers Classic bike ride started. TMS is one of the venues for NASCAR, I believe, and it's HUGE! We were able to bring our cars right onto the infield of the racetrack and stage our bikes from there.

The most exciting thing about the ride, is that you get to do a lap on the track before heading out for the rest of the ride. This, in itself, was worth the money to do the ride! The slope on the curves looked like they were 80 degees angle! I got up about 4 feet and thought the better of it, but there were a few crazies who went all the way to the top, then dove down to the flat part of the track. Wow! It was really cool!

20 days to the triathlon!

No comments: