Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Survivor 18 open casting

Survivor is one of the most intriguing shows around these days. People sneer that it's not really about survival, and surely it was never really set up to be that way. It's all about the social game - testing limits and testing trust. By far, it's my favorite show around and I haven't missed a single episode! Friends know this and have been trained not to call me between 7-8pm on Thursdays. I just don't answer the phone.

One thing I love about Survivor is that anyone can apply to see if they can be selected to be on the next cast. In some seasons, few if any applicants were actually cast; while many were just found on the street by casting agents mainly out in CA. That, however, hasn't stopped thousands of people from still trying to get on the show.

I love going to these things as you see people of all shapes and sizes trying to get on as well. One that caught my eye while I was waiting to go was a HUGE man, probably a biker, who sported a big mustache and was wearing a bandana. He had a huge, boisterous laugh that caught my attention. Knowing the physical limitations of the show, he wouldn't last long, but he would be fun to watch, possibly.

Last season was a good one with true fans getting an opportunity to play against some recent favorites. It was a great idea and great for getting real fans back on the show. I'd have killed to be on that season.

In years past, I thought about applying and had many friends say that I should, but commitments to the Reserves and my "real" job made it difficult to get away. Now that I've retired from the Air Force, an 8 week trip away to an undisclosed location doesn't seem nearly as much of a hurdle as it had in the past.

Last Friday there was an open audition again out at a local Honda dealership, so I figured it was time to give it a shot again. I'd done one last year and knew I'd blown it as soon as I walked out the door. This year, I had a better plan and idea of where I wanted to go with the plea for a callback. Did it work? It remains to be seen, but it felt much better this year.

I think I spoke way to quickly in order to get everything into the 2 minute requirement. I tried to make a point that the usual 35-45 year old woman they cast is either a wallflower, UTR player or one that is too old to help out much. I want to actually play the game agressively, rather than let it play me, y'know? I have a plan and want to win this sucker, not just show up and be one of the cast, only to go home.

Lynne Spillman and the rest of the casting team, please call me! :)

No comments: