Monday, September 14, 2009

Looking forward


So a while back I decided that next year I would do my first half Ironman. I chatted it up with a few of my girlfriends (many of whom did a wet, muddy, crazy 50k in the rain this weekend) and started digging for a good one to do.


I had a few requirements to look at. I didn't want it too difficult or too crowded (I hate big crowds). I didn't want a mass start in the water and I really didn't want a double loop of either the bike or run. One loop is enough, thank you. I initially wanted to make a trip of it and enjoy some scenery and make a vacation out of it, but moved that down on the priority list because I'd like to do RAGBRAI again next year. So, then I wanted it to make it within a day's drive.


So we narrowed it down to the Gulf Coast Triathlon in May next year or the Kansas Half IM in June. Fresh water and rolling hills won out over salt water, beaches and flats. We're on for Kansas on June 10, 2010.


So here we are and this blog will start to become more devoted to the ups and downs of the training. Along the way, I have a half marathon in December, a bum knee to contend with, and who knows what else to hurdle. I hope you stay with me and throw in good advice or tell me to suck it up when you think it's needed (and it will be needed for sure).


Now it's time to start planning and training and worrying. Gah!

2 comments:

said...

Woohoo! I've heard the Kansas one is awesome!

Proud of you girl. You know I'll be cheering you on and gaining much inspiration from you.

Deeann said...

I'm so happy for you! It's so exciting!!!!!!! YEAH!!!