Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Danskin Triathlon - Austin

WE DID IT!!

Deeann, Kait and I all completely enjoyed our first triathlon experience with the Danskin Tri series. What an amazing atmosphere this was for a first-time tri. The race was well run in many ways, from the way the waves were run, the timing, the logistics (for the most part). All-in-all, I highly recommend it to get your feet wet, so to speak.

It was amazing to see women of all shapes, sizes and ages out there. We saw elites, teenagers and even a few ladies in their 80's out there competing. I had to laugh at how many times I heard, "sorry" as ladies hit each other during the swim or got in the way of someone else during another event. It was almost comical, but at the same time, it goes to the spirit of the energy called etsrogen. LOL!

I was so proud of both girls and how well they did! Kait is an amazing athlete and has been training for this for a while. I don't think the heat affected her, since she lives in Biloxi (MS) as much as it did Deeann, who lives in MN. Deeann was such a delight to watch go through the event and finish it. We all were really teary-eyed as she came across the finish line with a big ol' grin on her face. She accomplished so much in such a short amount of time. I knew she could do anything she put her stubborn mind to and do it well. I can't wait to see what she tries next!

So for the three of us, we were all feeling pretty nervous in different ways. After seeing how long a 1/2 mile is swimming, I was scared and kicking myself for blowing off the swim training. I was in the 9th wave of women (elites/teenagers went first, followed by age groups getting younger with each wave). The wind was starting to kick up, so it was an advantage to watch how the current and wind affected the swimmers in the waves ahead of us. I figured out pretty quickly to stay upwind as most women were being blown way off course.

The first leg of the swim, I was a complete mess. I was wound tight, had a tough time breathing and ended up doing a sizeable chunk of it doing backstroke. Once I rounded that bouy though, something in me calmed and the body just kicked back into the mode of when I swam in HS and I felt pretty good. About 1/2 way to the swim finish, I remember looking up and seeing that there weren't many red caps ahead of me, which told me that I was probably doing better than I thought in my wave. In fact, I noticed that I was passing some of the people in the wave in front of me as well. Whew!

The transition was a little slower than I'd expected, as I forgot about the run up the hill to the bikes. I got out of the water and walked for about 10-15 seconds probably, then realized I needed to get my butt moving. Lesson learned and noted. I started to run and heard someone yell at me (or my number), "Great job and get moving 987!". I'm usually the one cheering to others like that so to me, that was a huge boost and it added to the excitement.

I did get on the bike well and was happy with my time on the 12 miles, considering I'd only started riding a little more seriously about a month prior to the race. I passed many more than passed me, and those who passed me were either younger or on a really great bike. The ride was hilly, but not overwhelming. There were two good hills, one short and steep; the other long and slow. Both I made it up. Yay!

The transition to the run wasn't bad, but could use a little improvement. If I get bike shoes that are a little more conduicive to easy on/off, I'll do better. I took the gloves off as I was riding in and mentally prepped for the run.

The run, which should be my best leg, was by far, the worst. The legs were really tired and I felt as if I was doing the gramma shuffle for about the first mile. The heat was kicking in, adding to the misery. I really struggled to get my breathing down and get the legs to make longer strides. I need to do more runs after a hard ride to get through this. Lesson learned and noted.

Kait's wave started about 1/2 hour behind me and I knew she could potentially catch me during the race. Sure enough, during the first 1/2 mile of the run or so, I saw her coming in for her last mile or so in the ride. She hollered at me and it was one of the best parts of my race! :) It's great having people you know out there!

At about the 2 mile point, there was a long, shallow hill. Really long. About 1/3 of the way through it, I ended up walking it to the top, but power walked it the best I could. It was discouraging, but I was certainly going faster in the walk than I would have if I'd tried jogging it. I worried about Deeann getting through this chunk as the heat would be worse for her.

Finally, I made it to the top of this damn hill and started jogging. I HAD to start jogging as there were a ton of spectators in that last 1/2 mile as you approached the finish line. Ego kicked in, you know. LOL! Thankfully that part was flat. The crowd was motivating as well as the loud music and the announcer calling each finisher's name. It felt great to be finished and see Deeann's hubby, Greg, waiting at the finish line!

Kait finished about 20 minutes behind me. She did really well and was grinning out of excitement as well. Looking at her times overall, she finished in the top 10% of all 2900+ women. Wow! Remember, this was her first race.

Deeann started about 1/2 hour behind Kait. Greg had been running between each of us girls, trying to get pictures of us as we started or finished different legs. I think he was able go get a great workout that day as well (thank you, Greg!!). After Kait finished, we hustled over to where the transition area was, near the run beginning. Greg caught her in the transition between the bike and run. We sat close and watched her hit about the 1 mile mark. She flipped us off, in true Deeann running fashion, but did it with a smile.

The amazing thing about this race is that everyone out there supports everyone else. I can't tell you how many times I heard "woo-hoo" and "go girl" shouted to the athletes as they went through their personal ordeals. The crowd and the competitors each helped each other. There were times where the bike and run legs passed near each other where the encouragement was huge. Then again, the way the run was set up, there were many places where you would see the athletes ahead and behind you as it snaked through the woods. What an incredible experience! For anyone trying their first tri, I suggest doing a Danskin one.

In the end, we anxiously awaited Deeann's arrival. Sure enough, we saw the periwinkle blue shirt in the distance and looked like puppies waiting for their masters to come through the door as she approached. She finished well and looked as if she was spent. I'm so proud of all of us for doing what we'd set out to do, as we did it!

Yay Team Hurricane Hunters!!!!

Lessons and notes for next time:
Swim -
1. Watch the water and swimmers from early legs to see the current/wind.
2. Wait a few seconds to let most people go, breathe, then head out.
3. Relax and channel the techniques you know.
4. TRAIN, dum bass! :)

Bike -
1. Save a little for the run or at least ease up on the legs for a minute or so before transition
2. Eat a gel on the way out and if time, a few Clif Blox on the way in to have some energy for the run. Worked great!
3. Consider training/racing without gloves for 12 miles.

Run -
1. Hmm...

Transitions -
1. Run between events as much as possible. Get quickly to the bike. Get quickly off the bike.
2. Bring a better towel for drying the feet quickly.
3. Get a good way to ID the bike space quickly. It looks so much different when returning.
4. Orient yourself before the race even begins so you know the different entry/exit points.

Spectators -
1. Bring binoculars to spot your athlete in the distance. Makes it easier to pick him/her out for photos as s/he approaches.
2. Bring a camera, sunscreen, water and a lightweight chair.
3. Scout out the race area to see where some of the best viewing spots may be. There might be several closeby to make it easier on you.
3. Cheer hard!

2 comments:

Beckbee said...

Great writeup KK. Very proud of you and your girls!
Do you have any pics?
Tri's are alot of fun. Someday I will get back into training for them and will do one with ya ;)

Deeann said...

Kari, I can't thank you enough for what you've done for me. You've helped me gain back confidence in myself. You've made me realize I can do things I set my mind to. You made exercise fun! You are my miracle worker!!!

I had an amazing time. THANK YOU!!!