Friday, August 15, 2008

More great riding moments

Wednesday morning I woke up early, checked the weather and decided it would be a great day to ride into SWA again.

Sunrise now isn't until about 6:45, and I need to leave around 6 to make it into work at a reasonable hour, so it was time to dig out the lights from my adventure racing box. My old front bike light didn't work anymore, even after recharging it, so I jury rigged a headlamp to stay on the handlebars. I did find my old taillight and with a quick battery change, it was up and running.

It was a cool 72 that morning. It was almost chilly in short sleeves and I wished I'd have worn my arm socks. That's a note to self for later.

The best part of the early morning darkness was seeing about a half dozen shooting stars. The first one came just as I was going down my block. I wasn't sure what I saw but thought it might be one. I saw another just a few moments later and remembered an article I read recenly about the Perseid meteor shower happening now. As I rode I saw more and just loved it.

The sunrise came and it was both beautiful and disappointing. The next few days will be covered in clouds so I figured this had been my best view of the meteor showers. I wonder if Greg and Deeann out in Guam are seeing them in those clear skies?

1 comment:

Twinpreemiemom said...

I am sitting here in Dallas and couldn't find your phone number (my cell was lost yesterday) so I googled you and bam! I found this! You are SO internet savvy now! I am so impressed!!! Can't find your phone number...but will be back through here in 3 days for an overnight stop so I would LOVE to see you or chat!! Can't wait to read up on all of your recent adventures!! MISS YA!!

Steph