Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Survivor analysis and commentary

I had to get the previous topic moved down a little, so I'll just prattle on about other stuff today.

Survivor: Gabon started last week with a bang and two episodes. I was stoked! We finally got to see more than a little of the tribes and got a flavor of more to come.

I've been reading some of the message boards out there, trying to stay away from spoiler information, but focusing on analysis. There are two themes going on this season. The first is all about Earth's Last Eden. Given that clue, which I can't remember when it was coined, I wonder if we'll have a male/female final two.

There also has been an underlying theme started possibly by some of Jeff Probst's commentary that there is an underlying current of Good vs. Evil. We've seen a lot of the characters this season who can readily fit into one of the two categories, and not necessarily all on one tribe.

Putting these two simple concepts together along with some of the editing we've seen during the show, I'll go on record right now to say that I think this might be a final two of Corrine (Eve/Evil) and Marcus (Adam/Good).

Corrine is a self-described bitch. Jeff agrees with her. One of her first quotes, and it may end up being the subtle "money quote" for the season, was, "I'm going to be a total bitcha nd I"m going to get rid of who I want to get rid of and hurt people's feelings and gonna laugh when people cry and gonna own it."

Contrast this with the relative hero's edit we're getting with Marcus. He's smart. He's beautiful. He's a doctor (though he said he was merely in the medical profession during the you-pick-em). He has the ladies and even the gay guys fawning over him. That could be a lot of power to weild throughout the game. Jeff, though, said that he can be arrogant. This may be his downfall.

Marcus has created "The Onion" alliance, keeping Corrine and Charlie close to him. He's planning to bring Jacquie into the fold and then round it out with Professor Bob. New clips out on the CBS website show hidden clips with Corrine and Marcus talking early. They bond quickly, then bring in the rest. I wonder if he will lose by taking a bite out of the apple and trusting Corrine to the end? Temptation is yet another theme this season, though it may apply more with just the Exile Island stuff.

None of the rest of the survivors really pique my interest this season as far as strategy is concerned. I don't doubt we'll see a fall of the Fang tribe similar to that of the Ulong tribe in Guatemala. I think our winner will come from the Kota tribe and probably from the Onion Alliance.

I hope Bob turns out to be this season's Yau-Man. That man is amazing and again, if you take a peek at the CBS extras, he's one whose mind is always turning. He's my sentimental favorite for the year.

Be sure to check out articles online at http://www.realitynewsonline.com/ . I post a "Who Will Go" column each Thursday morning with my picks as to who will fall next.

No comments: