Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It's in the air

One of the pure enjoyments of riding is being able to appreciate the air and sights around me as I wander through the neighborhoods. Yesterday, it seemed like my sense of smell was heightened for some reason. I probably looked like a happy dog hanging out a car window, sniffing the air as I pass by.

The morning part of the ride, I enjoy the quietness of most of it. There aren't as many cars on the road. I didn't smell as much going as I did coming home. Here are a few from the day...

Watering lawns - that wonderful smell of wet dirt and grass
Bacon frying
Onions sauteeing in butter (reminds me of Germany)
Barbequed meat - couldn't figure out exactly what was grilling, but it smelled fantastic
Car fumes - ugh. Not my favorite, but definitely something I get to encounter
Old Spice - I swear I could smell a guy's cologne or deodorant from across the street while I was waiting for a light.
Roses - intoxicating!
Honeysuckle-like smell, probably the last vestiges of the red-tips blooming
Dog poop - someone needs to clean up their back yard
Laundry detergent - passing by a laundromat
Sweat - the sign of a great workout!

1 comment:

said...

What an awesome post! I too love the scents on a bike ride. Some are more pleasant than others!