Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Taxing my airfare!

Holy crap! Airline taxes are ridiculous! And this is coming from someone who works in the industry.

I'm planning a trip to Belize with friends and family to help celebrate my big 4-0 this year. The birthday has already passed, but November is the first good time we could get a large group together. I knew flying to Belize wasn't going to be cheap, but until I got the final ticket, I had no idea how much of it was going to be taxes.

I bought my ticket yesterday on American Airlines, only because I can't get there on my own company, Southwest. LOL! When the confirmation came back, it listed out how much the actual airfare was and how much was in taxes. Check this out:

PASSENGER KARI KENNEDY
TICKET NUMBER XX1636360
FARE-USD 343.00
TAX 349.10

TICKET TOTAL 692.10

The taxes on this flight add up to more than the price of the actual ticket! I'm just stunned at the atrocity of this.

No comments: