Monday, May 19, 2008

That itch

Something strange started happening with my skin last week. About Tuesday or Wednesday, I realized I was scratching all the time and just plain miserable. It mainly affected my legs and arms, and it felt as if my nails were razor blades or a knife edge when I was scratching. I also noticed that my skin was red all over as if I'd gotten a mild sunburn. It was even more blotchy in the areas that don't see sun much, like the underarms etc. Really wierd.

So Friday morning I wake up, a day after doing an easy 5k run and my knees, wrists and fingers feel like I'm 80 and have arthritis. Wow, it was really strange. So I made an appointment with my doc that morning and went in.

We ran through everything I ate and did the last few weeks and nothing seemed out of the ordinary or unusual. We talked about the my sleeping lately (or lack thereof), which may play into this some. We even talked detergent and fabric softener to no avail. He ended up giving me a week's worth of steroids and ordered some blood work. Hope to hear something about that in the next day or two.

In the meantime, though, the drugs are helping the inflamation, but my feet and hands are still itchy little sausages. :)

No comments: