Monday, May 26, 2008

Tri training 2

Texas is wicked hot this time of year and Saturday was no exception. It was already in the 80's at 8am and of course, it was sticky. Rob Free and his girlfriend, Martha, and I planned to train for our upcoming Danskin Tri in Austin in a few weeks. We'd agreed to meet at 10am at Rob's where we staged our bike and run.

To add to the training I decided to ride down to Rob's, which is about 10 miles door-to-door. Of course, he lives south of me and in the summer, the winds blow heavily from the south. It took me almost 45 minutes to get there, but I really wasn't trying to go fast. The backroads weren't bad, but I had about 2 miles on FM3040 that was terrifying. I vowed to ride home a different direction on the way home.

I got to Rob's with a few minutes to spare. We headed up to the park near his house and did our 2 loops around (about 12 miles). The first loop I pushed it a little, but not a lot and finished it in 23 minutes. The second loop, I pushed a little harder and finished up at his house in 21 minutes. Not bad! I'm thinking that, depending on the course, I should be able to do the 12 miles during the race in about 40-45 minutes without much trouble. The ride to Rob's plus my battle with the virus over the last few weeks left me a little tired for this lap.

We dropped the bikes at Rob's, then headed out for a quick 3 miles. Finished that in 31 minutes. Again, considering I jsut rode 22 in the heat, I'm content with this time for now.

The ride home was really hot! The wind was at my back. The relative made it feel as if there was nothing to cool me. I was a sweaty pig! LOL! I took a little less direct route home and felt much safer, though I still had to do about 3/4 mile on FM3040.

A cold beer felt great at the end of the training session. 32 miles riding and 3 running. Off to the neighbor's pool to cool off!

Happy training!

No comments: